We love collecting maps from National Parks we visit and we visit lots so I wanted a way to use them in our RV to add a personal touch.
While I decorated the door with maps I have seen people do tables, walls and cabinets. I have even seen an RV ceiling covered with maps. Look around your RV or camper and decide what you want to cover with maps and you can use this method to make it happen!
If you can collect free maps it makes this RV project very affordable but you do need a few supplies and you can easily get them on Amazon. Besides maps you are going to need the following supplies to do your map project:
1)Mod Podge -This is the glue, so to speak, that is going to hold it all together so you will use lots of it. Get a big bottle or two if you have a large area like an RV ceiling.
2) Brushes-You will use foam brushes to put the Mod Podge on with. You will want different sizes so this kit works great.
3) Scissors- will need these to cut your maps into shapes.
4) Cutting tool- you will most likely need this tool to make cuts in narrow areas or along edges and this tool makes it really easy. It cuts off any access map making a clean line.
5) Scraper- you will use this to smooth down the map pieces so you don’t have bubbles. I tried using my hands and other things but this works best.
6) Sealer- This is the finishing touch that will protect all of your hard work. So don’t forget this step!
Now that you have your supplies you are ready to get started on your RV map project. The first step is to clean the area with whatever cleaner you have handy. Once this is dry you can start placing the maps.
Step 1 -Open one of your maps and decide what space you want to cover and what area of the map you want to use. Use a pencil or I just make a mental note on where to cut. I try to include lots of color or place names in the piece I cut out.
Step 2 -Use your scissors to cut out the shape needed from the map. I find odd shapes look best rather than a bunch of squares.