Updated: Nov 6, 2019
As full time RVers gas is one of our number one expenses. We have spent as much as $600 in one month just on gas for the RV. So being Penny Pinchers I set out to save us money on gas so that we could RV more!
Using some common sense practices along with money saving apps you can lower your fuel costs while Rving.
1. Buy Small. The first and most obvious is to start out with an RV that gets good gas mileage. Typically the smaller your RV the better gas mileage you will get. So when shopping for an RV consider the MPG when selecting.
2. Use the TruNow App. This app gives you 1% back on your entire gas station purchase including gas and any snacks you may have bought. The best part is this app works at any gas station and you can use the same receipt that you scanned for GetUpside (see number 8) saving you even more on gas for your RV. So scan any gas receipt into TruNow and earn 1% back.
3. Don’t tow a toad. For the first year we only used our RV to get around. When we got a job in a national park we bought a scooter. Our scooter gets 60 miles per gallon. Talk about a gas saver! We have seen other RVers use bikes instead of a toad. Whatever works best for you just think high MPG.
4. Earn discounts with rewards cards. Many grocery chains like Kroger, Safeway and Winn Dixie offer discounts off gas when you use their rewards card. Large gas stations like Pilot Flying J, Shell, etc. also offer discounts when enrolled in their gas program. Check with your local grocery stores and gas stations to see if they offer a rewards program so you can save on RV gas costs. TIP- Costco/Sam's Club usually have the best prices on gas but of course require a membership.
5. Earn gift cards for free gas from Swagbucks! Swagbucks is a reliable and legit way to get free gas cards. I have used Swagbucks to earn hundreds of dollars in gift cards. Swagbucks rewards users for doing simple tasks like taking surveys, watching videos, and shopping online. There are even rewards for using their search engine and playing games. Use these rewards to get gift cards to places like Sunoco, Exxon Mobil, or Chevron gas stations. Start off with $3 when you sign up with our link.
6. Plan ahead. We don’t wait until we need gas in our RV to figure out where to get gas. Using Gas Buddy we will look along our route for the best prices and fill up there. If we see that the prices will increase ahead of us on the map we will top off whether we are empty or not.
7. Drive slow. If you are out RVing for pleasure you shouldn’t be in a hurry anyway so slow down. Driving just below the speed limit and not accelerating quickly uses gas more efficiently so you spend less at the pump filling up your RV.
8. Use GetUPside to get reimbursed for your RV gas purchase. This easy to use app uses your location to show you discounts being offered at area gas stations. The discounts start at least 3 cents a gallon off and I have since discounts as high as 25 cents off per gallon. Once you find a discount you like simply claim the offer on the app and drive to the gas station and fill up. Once done you scan your receipt into the GetUPside app and are reimbursed the advertised discount amount. As RVers we usually try to fill up to the 50 gallon maximum for reimbursement, saving us money every time we are getting gas.
Using these eight methods to save money on gas when we RV we were able to save almost $1,000 last year. Most of this was in savings using the apps and rewards programs as well as earning gift cards.
Become a Penny Pinching Globetrotter and travel more by saving on all your expenses. You can save on gas, food and even beer learn more here. Do you have any suggestions on how to save money on gas when you RV?
The Penny Pinching Globetrotters
More you might like: